BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, April 17, 2009

finally an update

It's funny. During the whole process of the adoption and before Apollo came home, I was writing on this blog weekly. Then once he came home, I didn't want to write. Some hiatus... almost 3 months! wow.
I am normally not a real private person, I pretty much wear it all on my sleeve. But now that Apollo is home, I am feeling a bit different. Ok , first of all - his new name is Eli. He wanted us to change his name. He started by asking who named Ali, Will and Meg - when we told him that we did - he decided he wanted to be given a name from us. So... I gave him 4 choices and he chose Eli. His new birth certificate will actually read "Elijah Apollo Davidson". After calling him "Apollo" for 9 months, it has been tricky for us to call him "Eli" - but we are getting the hang of it. US law requires that we re-adopt because of the type of visa he came home on - so we are walking through that process now. We have a court date for May 7!! Yea! Then we still have to get him a Texas birth certificate and apply for citizenship. I will be glad when it is all done and final.
Micah just finished a sermon series called, "Embrace - what my adopted son taught me about God". It was REALLY good - but it was hard for me to let 2300 people have glimpses into that journey - pictures, video clips, stories.... but it was so powerful and God used it to touch many people. The best thing that came from the series was that our church raised the money necessary to build a water pipe from a water treatment plant all the way to Bolga - the village where Eli is from. There is a lake right by the village, but the iron content is too strong making it unhealthy to drink. In 4 weeks, in the middle of a recession - God's people raised enough money for the pipe and to buy curriculum for the schools to use. GOD IS AWESOME!!! you can go to www.reallifefellowship.org to order the series if you want it.
I know this post isn't laid out great and isn't full of creative, clever writing - instead it is just some random thoughts I had.
Eli is adjusting good - it is taking time for things to seem "normal" - food is an issue and just getting use to brothers and sisters and everything else. EVERYTHING is different for him. I thank God that he is making us a family and covering all of us in his grace.
whew - I think I am done for now -
peace out....

4 comments:

Laurel said...

Great to get an update.

The kids will be excited to hear that Apollo is now Eli. We have an Elijah at our house, too. And ... Jacob asked us to give him a new name, also.

And ... the water pipe to Bolga. Wow! Amazing! Our kids were from the Bolga area also, and we visited their village and met their extended family. So, we KNOW where this water pipe will go. So cool!!!

I look forward to chatting with you SOON!


Laurel :)

Brittney said...

Glad to hear an update! I continue to pray for you and your family whenever you come to mind. Sorry I didn't get to see the kids Sunday when you visited Portland!

Patty said...

That is so interesting that both your son & Laurel's asked for a new name. do you know why this might be important to them? I'm so curious as we anticipate our own adoption.

birdie said...

mom-
love your new blog template.....
i am so upset about my playlist though. i have tried EVERYTHING!!!
maybe you can help me???
love you and cant wait to see you tonight!
-ali kate